Friday, April 16, 2010

Chapter 9: Three Days At The Amen Clinic

Wednesday morning I had my first SPECT brain scan.  The IV was inserted with ease and I had no bruising later.  The concentration scan is done first and I did an activity to get my brain focused.  The radioactive isotope was put into my IV during the activity.  I did not have any sensation in my body when it was injected.  After the activity I laid down on my back on the scanning machine.  I needed to hold still, but the the time went quickly; it took about 15-20 minutes.  A band was wrapped around my forehead to help me keep my head still.  The scanning machine made a noise, but it wasn't irritating.  Part of the machine went around my head, but I did not feel claustrophobic like I have during an MRI.

Wednesday afternoon I had an appointment with one of the historians.  She had read my intake questionnaire and asked me questions to clarify, or give her more details on my answers.  This was a calm, deliberate process. She gave me plenty of time to add any information to what was included in the questionnaire. She compiled a well written history for the psychiatrist I had an appointment with later in the week.

Thursday morning I had my second SPECT brain scan.  After the IV was in place I was taken to a dim lit room to prepare for the resting scan.  I was asked to let my mind wander or daydream, but not to think about any specific subject, meditate, or fall asleep.  A short time into my resting the isotope was injected.  There was an interesting rug in the room with geometric shapes on it.  I wanted to see how the pattern repeated itself, but I didn't, I kept resting.  There was also a picture of Dr. Amen with information about his work in brain imaging I wanted to look at.  I didn't, I kept resting. After 15-20 minutes, I laid down on the scanning machine for my second scan.

On Thursday afternoon, my husband and I had a delectable seafood lunch at a restaurant called Rusty Pelican.  It is on 2735 West Coast Highway, Newport Beach, CA 92663-4798, (949) 642-3431.  http://www.rustypelican.com/

On Friday afternoon I met with a psychiatrist.  He showed me my brain scans and went over what was found on them.  It was awesome to see the scans!  He showed me rippling, called scalloping, on the surface of my brain.  For me, it is probably caused by taking the drug clonazepam. I have not abused or been exposed to drugs, alcohol, or environmental toxins. I have used this drug for approximately 8-10 years and the Amen Clinic uses it only for short periods of time for severe cases of anxiety.  I am in the process of coming off clonazepam so the scalloping on my brain can heal!

Other Findings:
  1. Luvox has been helping calm the activity in my deep limbic system; where depression originates. 
  2. There is too much activity in my basal ganglia; causing anxiety. 
  3. I have an atypical depression needing to be treated in layers.  This is why I haven't achieved a more complete remission of symptoms in the last year and a half.  The basal ganglia (anxiety) must be calmed down first. 
  4. My prefrontal cortex is not functioning effectively.  After the anxiety is calmed down I will need to take a drug to stimulate the prefrontal cortex.  If I take this drug too soon, it will over stimulate the basal ganglia and cause too much anxiety.
I now have an extensive treatment plan giving me hope I can get feeling better!



No comments:

Post a Comment