Saturday, April 10, 2010

Chapter 5: A New Earth, Changing The Way I Think

About this time, I started listening to the CDs of, A New Earth; Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, by Eckhart Tolle. The things I learned in this book helped me change the way I think. I had this book several years before I read it. I first heard about it when it was one of Oprah's Book Club Books.

Changing the way I think, changed my life.  In a section titled, THE PURPOSE OF THIS BOOK, Eckhart Tolle questions if humanity is ready for a transformation of consciousness.  He asks, "Can they defy the gravitational pull of materialism and materiality and rise above identification with form that keeps the ego in place and condemns them to imprisonment within their own personality?"  He believes the possibility of such a transformation has been the central message of Buddha, Jesus, and others.

The author states, "This book's main purpose is not to add new information or beliefs to your mind or to try to convince you of anything, but to bring about a shift in consciousness, that is to say, to awaken.  In that sense, this book is not 'interesting'.  Interesting means you can keep your distance, play around with ideas and concepts in your mind, agree or disagree.  This book is about you.  It will change your state of consciousness or it will be meaningless."

This book had meaning for me.  I learned the ego is an illusory sense of self that becomes the basis for misinterpretations of reality, thought processes, interactions, and relationships.  If I can recognize illusion as illusion, it dissolves.  The egoic mind is the incessant voice in my head, the stream of involuntary and compulsive thinking and the emotions that accompany it.  These thoughts are often not true, but if I don't question them I will feel the emotions the thoughts evoke.  Jean-Paul Sartre said, "The consciousness that says 'I am' is not the consciousness that thinks."

Learning about the pain-body was especially interesting to me.  Eckhart Tolle describes it this way, "The pain-body is a semiautonomous energy-form that lives within most human beings, an entity made up of emotion.  It has its own primitive intelligence, not unlike a cunning animal, and its intelligence is directed primarily at survival.  Like all life-forms it periodically needs to feed---to take in new energy---and the food it requires to replenish itself consists of energy that is compatible with its own. . .Any emotionally painful experience can be used as food by the pain-body.  That's why is thrives on negative thinking as well as drama in relationships.  The pain-body is an addiction to unhappiness."


No comments:

Post a Comment