Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chapter 10: Detailed Treatment Plan

I believe the psychiatric diagnosis I received at the Amen Clinic is based on a higher level of education than I have experienced in the past. Each person I worked with at the clinic was professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and caring.

This is my treatment plan:

  1. Blood tests: CBC with differential, thyroid panel, chemistry panel, lipid panel, hemoglobin A1c, and 25 hydroxy vitamin D level.
  2. Neurontin:  Prescription drug I started when I got home. I am taking the supplements Neuro PS, Restful Sleep, and Brain Vitale. Neurontin and the supplements are helping calm down the anxiety, and I have been able to slowly lower the dose of clonazepam. I will continue to take Luvox.
  3. Clonazepam:  When I am off this drug and the anxiety has calmed down, I will begin taking Welbutrin SR or XL to stimulate the prefrontal cortex.
  4. Effexor XR: This antidepressant may be effective for me. I would like to try Wellbutrin first, because I don't want to go through Luvox withdrawal and adjusting to Effexor XR side effects.
  5. Vitamin D:  I need to raise my level from 45 to 70.
  6. Fish Oil, Omega 3 Fatty Acids:  I am taking 6,000 mg per day.
  7. Aerobic Exercise:  30 minutes every day. I have only missed a few days since we got home. I feel so much better when I exercise it motivates me to be consistent.
  8. Psychotherapy:  My husband and I went to a therapist for 2 years.  Then I went on my own for 3 three years.  In the past I have done group work dealing with depression.
  9. Education in Brain Healthy Strategies:  Reading Dr. Amen's books, Healing Anxiety and Depression, and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, have helped. There is also a lot of good information in my AMEN CLINICS, INC. notebook.  This notebook also has a copy of my scans and treatment plan. I'm sure there are other authors who could help in this area as well.
  10. Dietary Strategies: The Amen Clinic supports the diet recommendations in the UltraMind Solution, book by Dr. Hyman.  I want to continue with the diet changes I made before going to the clinic.
  11. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation: Would be helpful on the prefrontal cortex and cortex. This therapy is available at the Neuropsychiatric Institute in my area.  My insurance company considers this therapy experimental for depression and will not cover it.  I need to find out how much each therapy session would cost.  If I were to have it done in Newport Beach it would be $180.00 per session.  The number of sessions needed can be 20-40, or sometimes more.
  12. Mental Exercises:  Reading, playing music, doing puzzles, or playing memory games to keep the brain active.
  13. Behaviors To Avoid:  Anything putting me at risk for a brain injury or toxic exposure.
  14. Television:  Limit my time watching the tube.
The supplements I am taking have the following ingredients. I purchased the supplements at the Amen Clinic.

Restful Sleep:  4 at bedtime   Serving 4 capsules
Vitamin B6 10 mg, Magnesium 100 mg, Melatonin (immediate release) 2.5 mg, Melatonin (controlled release) 2.5 mg, Valerian 600 mg, GABA 100 mg.

Neuro PS:  2 at bedtime   Serving 1 capsule
Phosphatidyl Serine 120 mg, Phosphatidylcholine 72 mg, Phosphatidylethanlamine 54 mg, Phosphatidylinositol 30 mg.

Brain Vitale:  2 in the morning   Serving 2 capsules
Acetyl L-Carnitine 500 mg, GlyceroPhosphoCholine (GPC) 200 mg, Inositol 200 mg, Phosphatidylserine 120 mg, GinkgoSelect Phytosome 90 mg.

I am following my treatment plan everyday and I am making slow, steady progress.  It has not been easy to come off the drug clonazepam, and I was only taking .25 mg at night before bed.  I have been shaving a small amount off the tablet every ten days.  Three or four days later I have a headache pain medication doesn't relieve, nausea, and a dizzy feeling.  These withdrawal symptoms will last 2-3 days until my body adjusts.  I have a healthy dislike for this medication, but I also know I should not come off too fast.  There are some days I feel impatient.  

It makes me angry I am addicted to a prescription drug that is damaging my brain!


This is the program I was watching on PBS when I first heard about 
Dr. Amen and SPECT Brain Scans.





  

 



































No comments:

Post a Comment