Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chapter 2: Back To School, Father Died


I was feeling so much better I decided to go back to school and renew my teaching certificate.  I enrolled in summer classes at the University I had graduated from 33 years earlier.  The campus had changed a little bit.  Fortunately, I was able to maneuver through the round abouts and was not hit by the new Trax system.

My youngest son, who was a student at the same University, suggested I upgrade to a mechanical pencil to fit in with the current students.  The first class I took met every day for two weeks.  The class was challenging and I loved being back at school.  I felt happy and was relieved to find out I could relate to the other students and be successful!  I did not do well with a mechanical pencil.

The second class I took met every day for two weeks and was challenging as well.  My brain felt stimulated and my outlook on the future was good.  The morning my third class was scheduled to begin I received a phone call as I was getting ready to go.  The person on the other end of the line called to let me know my dad had died some time during the night, and was found that morning.  My dad lived in an assisted living center and had received good care.  He had many health problems, but the news of his death was shocking and I was extremely sad.

I went to the assisted living center, held dad in my arms, cried, and said goodbye. On May 11, 2006, the doctor told my sister, brother, and I he didn't think dad would survive through the night. He did, and I had a little over two more years with him. I learned a lot about my dad and his family during those two years. The time was memorable and precious!

I dropped the class I was going to take, helped plan dad's funeral, and grieved for the next few weeks. The end of July I took a workshop to finish the hours of education I needed. There was an ache in my heart and a longing to be with my dad again.



No comments:

Post a Comment