Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chapter 43: SAVING MY MONEY

I AM SAVING MY MONEY!  

I want to go to Dr. Mark Hyman's UltraWellness Clinic.  It is in Lenox, Massachusetts which is not close to where I live.  Once again I am planning a trip out of state to receive medical care.  The two times I have done it before have been excellent decisions.  If you have been reading my blog you know about my trip to the Amen Clinic in Newport Beach, California.  Here are the chapters of my blog about the trip if you are interested in reading them.


At first, I was only going to tell you briefly about my first trip out of state for medical care.  But then I decided it was important to me to share a longer version of the story.  I think it is important for all of us to find the best medical care for us personally, and sometimes this takes research!  

My doctor at home recommended a hysterectomy because of severe pain during my periods.  A second opinion agreed with the first one.  I prayed for guidance in making a decision about this surgery and the answer was no.

After a lot of research, I went to Los Angeles, California to the The Institute for Female Alternative Medicine.  Dr. Tirso del Junco, Jr. founded the institute to provide women with an alternative to hysterectomy.  Dr. del Junco is a skilled surgeon using different types of lasers to make the needed repairs during surgery. 

Female Reconstructive Surgery:  April 3, 2000, in Los Angeles, California 

Myomectomy:  Five uterine fibroids removed
Adenomyomectomy:  Removal of adenomyosis - uterine thickening that occurs when endometrial tissue, which normally lines the uterus, moves into the outer muscular walls of the uterus.  This tissues bleeds each month causing pain.  Dr. del Junco used the SLT contact yag laser to remove the adenomyosis from my uterus.  
Left ovarian cystectomy with reconstruction:  Cyst surgically removed from my left ovary and reconstruction of the ovary.
Aspiration of right ovarian cyst: Fluid removed from the cyst
Uterine suspension:  Repair of a prolapsed uterus - suspension was carried out by using a #3/0 Goretex suture, bringing opposing both left and right round ligaments in accordion fashion and attaching this to the anterior surface of the uterus.
Ventral hernia repairIncisional ventral hernias are defects that appear at the site of a prior surgical incision.  This results in a bulge or a tear in the area where the abdominal muscles have weakened.  I had a previous surgical incision in my abdomen from having my appendix removed.
Endometrial curettings:  Endometrial curettage means taking a sample of tissue from the inside lining layer (endometrium) of the uterus.  A biopsy was done and no malignancy was found. 

This was a follow up procedure three months after Female Reconstructive Surgery: 
Hysteroscopy:  July 28, 2000 in Los Angeles, California

Checking for adhesions from Female Reconstructive Surgery:  No adhesions
Endocervical polypectomy:  A polyp was removed from my cervix
Ablation of endometriosis:   Endometriosis was removed from the dome of my uterus
Endometriosis is when endometrial tissue, which normally lines the uterus, goes into the pelvic area outside of the uterus.  The tissue usually implants on the ovaries, bowel, rectum, bladder, or the lining of the pelvis; but it can occur in other areas of the body too.

Dr. Tirso del Junco, Jr. is interviewed in this video by Jennie Sauder, on a program called "A Healthy Balance".  (The Health Network)
  


This video is the story of a woman who decided to have Female Reconstructive Surgery.  It will give you more information about the The Institute for Female Alternative Medicine and Dr. Tirso del Junco, Jr. 

 

The positive outcomes of this surgery for me were many:

1.  I was able to keep all of my reproductive organs and they began to function normally soon after the surgery.
2.  My doctor here at home said I would probably be going through menopause soon, I was 47 years old, so I could just "do nothing" but be in pain each month until then.  I was 57 years old when I was officially menopausal.  So that would have been 10 painful years!
3.  I experienced pain while the surgery was healing, but my period started one month after the surgery without any extra pain.  After the surgery healed, I had no pain during my menstrual cycles.  I had given Dr. del Junco permission to remove as much of the adenomyosis he needed to ensure the pain would stop.  This left my uterus without enough strength to carry a baby, but my husband and I were not planning on having more children so this wasn't a problem for me.
4.  I felt like I got my life back!  Before the surgery I was in so much pain each month I had to plan my life around not functioning during this time.
5.  I was able to go through menopause naturally instead of it being initiated by a hysterectomy.
6.  I felt better!

If you would like more information about my experience at The Institute for Female Alternative Medicine, please leave a comment on this chapter with your email address.  Thanks!

As you know I am doing better, but I am not finished with the pursuit of getting my body back in balance, functioning well, and feeling good.  In the next chapter of my blog I will explain why I want to go to the UltraWellness Clinic.  I believe Daniel Amen, M.D., Tirso del Junco, Jr., M.D. and Mark Hyman, M.D., are pioneers in their areas of medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment