Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chapter 29: Do you know what your Vitamin D level is?

This is funny!  Best_DUI_Ever





Do you know what your Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy level is?

In November of 2007 I had some blood work done and found out my Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy level was 20, LOW. The huge normal range is 30-150, and a toxic level for most people is above 150. At the time I was surprised because my diet was pretty healthy. After doing some reading about the subject, I am not surprised because I wasn't spending 15-20 minutes in the sun everyday without sunscreen. (Or with sunscreen either!)

I started taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D a day and had good intentions of getting more sun. Then, December of 2007 came around and I made the fateful decision to come off my antidepressant, Zoloft, and try an amino acid therapy for depression. Well, the rest is history (a miserable one) and has already been documented in previous blog posts. For the next year my Vitamin D level was not a high priority for me. I felt there was a long list of things I "should" do, and didn't feel well enough to do very many of them.

In March of 2009 I had blood work done again and my Vitamin D level was 26. Yeah, I know it didn't come up much. The amount of Vitamin D I was taking and feeling depressed and sick in the house wasn't very effective. My doctor started me on a 50,000 IU capsule of a prescription Vitamin D, the generic for Drisdol, that I took once per month. In February of 2010 I started taking the supplements Dr. Hyman recommends (See Chapter 12:  I Hate Clonazepam, Supplements) so I was taking 3,200 IU of Vitamin D each day, and 50,000 IU once per month.

In April of 2010 my blood work showed a Vitamin D level of 45. In the gigantic normal range! Maybe I don't absorb it very well. =) My psychiatrist at the Amen Clinic recommended I get my level up to at least 70, because it has a good chance of improving my mood. My doctor here at home is helping me and I am now taking a 50,000 IU capsule every two weeks and 3200 IU every day. I will be tested again in January of 2011; if I am not up to 70 I will begin taking the 50,000 IU capsule every week. I know it would help if I spent some time in the sun, but you know I don't have a good track record for this. I am going to try!

I am hoping a higher Vitamin D level will be one more thing contributing to overcoming the depression symptoms. One more piece of the healing depression puzzle. For me this puzzle has been difficult. I will keep you posted.

I am in the process of reading the book, The Vitamin D Solution, A 3-Step Strategy to Cure Our Most Common Health Problem, by Michael F. Holick, Ph.D., M.D., Foreword by Andrew Weil, M.D. Dr. Holick says having enough Vitamin D can prevent and treat Osteoporosis, Heart Disease, Cancer, Autoimmune Diseases, Depression, Insomnia, Arthritis, Diabetes, Chronic Pain, Psoriasis, Fibromyalgia, and Autism. . .as well as other diseases, chronic conditions, and mild ailments. Wow, it is important. Is the sun out today?

Review of the book, The Vitamin D Solution, A 3-Step Strategy to Cure Our Most Common Health Problem.
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/review-the-vitamin-d-solution-by-dr-michael-holick/9144%20

Michael F. Holick, Ph.D., M.D., is called the "Pioneer In Vitamin D Research."  This is a video of a speech he gave at a Diagnosis and Treatment of Vitamin D Seminar. This seminar was called, "D-Lightful Vitamin D; Bone and Muscle Health and Prevention of Autoimmune and Chronic Diseases."  It is long, 58 minutes and 52 seconds, but entertaining.



This Vitamin D Quiz is in, The UltraMind Solution, by Mark Hyman, M.D.  It may help you determine if you have a vitamin D deficiency.

VITAMIN D QUIZ

I have seasonal affective disorder.
I experience a loss of mental sharpness or memory.
I have sore or weak muscles.
I have tender bones (press on your shin bone--if it hurts you are vitamin D deficient).
I work indoors.
I avoid the sun.
I wear sunblock most of the time.
I live north of Florida.
I don't eat small fatty fish such as mackerel, herring, or sardines (the main sources of dietary vitamin D).
I have osteoporosis.
I have broken more than two bones or had a hip fracture.
I have autoimmune disease (i.e., multiple sclerosis).
I have osteoarthritis (vitamin D deficiency weakens bones and leads to deterioration).
I have frequent infections.
I have prostate cancer.
I have dark skin (any race other than Caucasian).
I am sixty years old or older.

SCORE:  0-8 Yes Answers---You may have a slightly low level of vitamin D.
                 9 And Above Yes Answers---You may have a severely low level of vitamin D.


I recommend these videos.  They share good information about vitamin D.

Dr. Oz on Good Morning America -- Vitamin D, Swine Flu, Cancer, and the Sun. 

 


 

The Real Story on Vitamin D 

Dr. John Cannell, Vitamin D Council, and Bill Sardi, Knowledge of Health, Inc. 

 



This is an article written by Dr. John Cannell on the history of depression and vitamin D research.  It is called, "Vitamin D and Depression."  Dr. Cannell

No comments:

Post a Comment