Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chapter 21: Healing A "Broken Brain"

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen 
and thinking what nobody has thought."
                               
                                                            Albert Von Szent-Gyorgyi Nagyr
                                                               Nobel Laureate in Physiology and Medicine
                                                                 The scientist who isolated vitamin C

Mark Hyman, M.D., author of, The UltraMind Solution, states on page 7, "Your brain is broken.  You know it.  You feel it.  You hide it.  You fear it.  You have been touched by an epidemic.  It deprives children of their future, the elderly of their past, and adults of their present.

No one is talking about this invisible epidemic.  Yet it's the leading cause of disability, affects 1.1 billion people worldwide---one in six children, one in two elderly---and will cripple one in four people during their lifetime.

I am talking about the epidemic of broken brains.

We refer to our "broken brains" by many names---depression, anxiety, memory loss, brain fog, attention deficit disorder or ADD, autism, and dementia to name a few.

This epidemic of brain breakdown shows up in radically different ways from person to person so that they all seem like separate problems.  But the truth is that they are all manifestations of a few common underlying root causes.

These seemingly different disorders are all really the same problem---imbalances in the seven keys to UltraWellness.

Dr. Mark Hyman on Good Morning America, January 16, 2009
Interviewed by Jeremy Hubbard, abc News



Dr. Hyman has seen many of his patients heal their broken brains by treating their bodies.  He believes brain problems are found in the biology of your whole body.  He has found brain disorders are almost always systemic disorders, and the cure will be found outside the brain and in your body.

Dr. Hyman also believes some people may have a genetic predisposition making it more difficult for their bodies to create neurotransmitters.  This is true even if these people are applying the changes suggested in The Seven Keys to UltraWellness.  I think I am probably one of these people.  The Seven Keys to UltraWellness made so much sense to me I wanted to implement them.  I believed they would contribute to helping me feel better, even if they didn't "heal" my depression.  

On page 387, Dr. Hyman says, "As a former emergency room physician, I recognize that extreme times call for extreme measures.  I use and support the intelligent, appropriate use of medication, including psychotropic medications when needed.  They can often be helpful as a bridge for recovery from all the stresses and toxins that affect our brain and mind.

It may take months or years to heal from damage that has occurred over a lifetime.  In extreme cases, the damage may be so deep that full recovery is not possible using the UltraMind Solution (although most see remarkable results in a few weeks).  In some cases, combining medication with the tools of the UltraMind Solution can give people their lives back."

When I first started reading, The UltraMind Solution, I wondered if Dr. Hyman believed every person could heal their "broken brain" by treating their body systems.  If you choose to read the book and read the first 75 pages you may wonder the same thing.  I included the information above because I didn't want that thought to detract from the brilliance of the book.

I love this book, and in the coming chapters of my blog I am going to share more information of The Seven Keys to UltraWellness and how they have made my life better.

On Monday morning I raised the dose of Effexor XR to 187.5 mg.  After lowering the dose of Luvox when I began 150 mg of Effexor XR, I had some depression symptoms return.  So I went back on 25 mg two times a day.  I am staying on that dosage until I feel Effexor XR improving the depression symptoms.  I did not feel any side effects from Effexor XR until several days into taking 150 mg.

"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie---deliberate, contrived, and dishonest---but the myth---persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.  Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forbears.  We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations.  We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

John F. Kennedy



No comments:

Post a Comment